Since applying sunscreen is the number one thing you can do to protect your skin, I make sure I slather that on every morning, even when I’m working inside most of the day. In addition to sunscreen, retinol is another anti-aging powerhouse that can do so much for your skin, and I prioritize it in my routine to keep my skin in good shape. And after a couple of years of sticking to those two “hero” products, I can tell you that they definitely do a stellar job of protecting my skin and making it look and feel healthy. I mean, I still get carded more often than not, so I think I’m doing something right.
You probably know what sunscreen is, but you might be a little hazy on retinol. The power-packed ingredient is actually a vitamin A derivative that’s great for the skin. Board-certified dermatologist Ife Rodney, MD, FAAD, of Eternal Dermatology and Aesthetics, shared some of the benefits:
1. It increases cell turnover to get rid of dull, damaged skin cells.
2. It stimulates collagen production in the skin to both prevent and treat fine lines and wrinkles.
3. It removes dead skin cells and unclogs pores, making it an excellent solution for clearing up blackheads, whiteheads, and acne.
4. By clearing your pores, retinol increases the effectiveness of your other skincare products.
5. Retinol is usually the first line of defense for dermatologists for fighting acne, evening skin tone, and reversing the signs of aging.