Alows the possibility to perform real-time processing provides industrial-grade Linux support and security maintenance
To deliver improved AI processing for a wide range of applications, three new 64-bit microprocessors (MPUs): the RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC and RZ/G2UL have been introduced. These provide scalability from entry-level to high-end design.
The new RZ/G2L MPUs are built around the Arm Cortex-A55 CPU core, which delivers approximately 20 per cent improved processing and 6x faster AI application processing. The new MPUs also integrate camera-input interfaces, a 3D graphics engine and a video codec, providing cost-efficient support for sophisticated functionality for human-machine interface (HMI) applications, such as multimedia processing, GUI rendering and AI image processing.
The MPUs also feature the Cortex-M33 core, which makes it possible to perform real-time processing for tasks such as sensor data collection without requiring external microcontrollers (MCUs), reducing the overall system cost.
The RZ/G2L Group features error checking and correction (ECC) protection for both on-chip memory and external DDR memory. Additionally, a Verified Linux Package (VLP) featuring a Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) Linux, provides industrial-grade Linux support and security maintenance, reducing future maintenance costs. Support for security functions ensures confident adoption of the RZ/G2L Group MPUs for industrial applications requiring high reliability and extended service life.
Key features of the RZ/G2L Group:
- Cortex-A55 and Cortex-M33 64-bit CPU cores
- RZ/G2L and RZ/G2LC: Cortex-A55 (1.2 GHz) dual- or single-core and Cortex-M33
- RZ/G2UL: Cortex-A55 (1.0 GHz) single-core and Cortex-M33 (optional)
- 3D graphics functions (Arm Mali™-G31 GPU) (RZ/G2L and RZ/G2LC)
- Video codec (H.264) (RZ/G2L)
- CAN interface with support for faster CAN FD protocol (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- Gigabit Ethernet (2 channels on RZ/G2L and RZ/G2UL, 1 channel on RZ/G2LC)
- Memory error checking and correction (ECC) (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- Support for DDR4 and DDR3L external memory interfaces (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- 13 mm square (RZ/G2LC, RZ/G2UL), 15 mm square (RZ/G2L), and 21 mm square (RZ/G2L) BGA packages
Renesas Electronics has begun sample shipments of the new MPUs, with mass production scheduled to commence in August 2021. Additionally, reference designs (circuit diagrams and board layout data) are available starting today.